Sunday 23 May 2010

Closing Thoughts

I've loved my trip but am glad to be home. There are wonderful things out there to see and experience and I am glad that I've had the opportunity to enjoy some of them, smorgasbord style. Europe is an amazing place and they have their act together. I am impressed, awed, and am better for having made the journey. I personally think it's so important to travel and be exposed to knew things, be out of your comfort zone for a while, and learn to respect peoples' differences. I am struck by the beauty of it and all of the wonderful people out there. It also makes me appreciate home more too.

In Europe it became clear that war and religion has really shaped our early history. In Paris touring the Arch de Triomphe I was looking at the list of battles and generals listed in the stone and the tour guide made a comment that you wouldn't see the Battle of Waterloo in that list because, of course, they wouldn't commemorate their losses. That struck me for a moment that in the US our monuments are not so much about the victory but also about our losses too, the sacrifices that are made by loved ones. Think about the magnificence of the Vietnam memorial. Thank goodness that we seem to really understand and feel that. I also love that our monuments are not as much about our war heroes, although we have those, but more about our leaders, our presidents. Also, we also celebrate the light and fun part of life -- Disney, Vegas, Times Square, Beaches, San Diego Zoo, Universal Studios, Yellowstone!

So, in closing, I've loved my trip, loved seeing all those beautiful places, learned a lot, I am better for it, and want to go back and see more. I am also grateful and glad of the place that I live and glad to be home!

1 comment:

  1. Good point! If I think about how we in T'stan and Russians celebrate the war heroes, I remember they are remembered on the day of victory. There is a big holiday called Day of Victory in Russia, for example and the losses and the heroes are remembered on that day. I don't remember any other days that Russia has lost in a battle, although, as you pointed out. In T'stan though we do have a few days when we have lost a battle and now morn the losses.
    Such traditions are good ways of knowing some things about the people and how they live their lives.
    Thank you for sharing!
    ~ T

    ReplyDelete