Friday 7 May 2010

Getting There

There is no better example of a caste system than on a large plane.

The plan was Reagan to JFK then JFK to London Heathrow. Flights were filling up between Reagan and JFK so I decided to take the super early flight (6am). It would be tough if I didn't get on that flight since all subsequent flights were red. My journey could be in trouble before it started. Even though there were 11 empty seats on the early flight there were 10 standing by so it was a full flight. I was #9. Phew, Made it!

There was an early flight to London (8am and totally green) and I was listed for it but there were no 1st Class seats available. I can tell you the gate personnel were incredulous (and thinking I was an idiot) that I was telling them to roll me to the next flight because I wanted 1st class. The next flight wasn't until 5:40...and showing red.

I did discover the non-rev lounge, cryptically labeled "We are family." It had little lounge chairs, a tv, and a small love seat which I folded myself into. I have to say that most everyone was super nice. The lounge seems to be used primarily by employees who probably use it as a quiet place to go and were likely not thrilled to find me camped there. But all of them were very nice, asking me where I was headed and checking the flight status, assuring me they thought I would get on. Toward the end of my long wait a lady came in asking me if there was a microwave (which there was) and asking if I minded if her family came in. Sure, as I started gathering up my stuff which was somewhat spread out. Well, she had a big family. There must have been 16 people. I left them to their family reunion and went to the gate.

The people who were not super friendly were actually just besieged. I watched as the lady handling the gate for the flight to London handled dozens of people asking the same questions. Then she had to tell the tense crowd that the flight was delayed an hour.

I did get on the flight and into first class too! So I turned down the green flight and got on the red. Oh man, Its ruined me for flying in Coach. I literally had like a cubicle. I wish I had something as nice at work, especially the chair that turns and then turns into a bed. And the TV that pops up! Salmon appetizer, warm nuts, shrimp, ice cream sundae. Heaven! And everyone so nice, sipping champagne and deciding what to order off the menu. I don't know that I slept that much but I sure enjoyed the luxury of laying down on a plane.

It's amazing when you get a chance to glimpse how the 'other half lives'. They get perks that you are never aware of. For example people in first class are given a pass that gets you into a fast track lane in customs. I looked over at the crowd in the regular lanes and they looked like cattle but I didn't have long to look because my line zipped along and I was in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment