Friday 7 May 2010

The London Tube and Jane Austen

I am falling in love with London. I felt the same way as when I visited Paris. I wonder if I am going to have the same reaction with every European city I visit. I have figured out the Tube and love riding on it and walking. I find the city very walkable. I seem to ave a thing about subways and public transit. Probably because I don't use it every day. There's something great about being able to just hop on and go anywhere. London has the best subway station names. I love the Jubilee line. Why don't we give our subway lines happy names? And the subway stations and towns are names out of a fairy tale. Dagenham Heathway. East Finchley. Folders Green. Hackney Wick. Finchley Road and Frog. Elephant and Castle (there has to be a story behind that one!) Golders Green. Bromley-by-Bow (my favorite). Bent Cross. Burnt Oak (how long ago do you think the Oak burned?)

The pace of the city is much gentler than big cities in the US. People seem politer, nicer, more respectful. I can't even count the number of times someone has offered me his seat. Very gentlemanly, either that, or I look particularly feeble. I prefer to think it's manners dating back to the time of Jane Austen and Emily Dickenson. *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. So totally jealous but it sounds like a great start to great trip.

    ReplyDelete