Sunday 23 May 2010

Coming Home by Plane, Train, and Automobile

Traveling is hard but well worth it. I decided to take the train back to London because the loads were better going out of London than Paris. Carrying all my bags from the hotel I tried to take a taxi to Gare du Nord (train station) but the taxi driver literally refused telling me that there was big traffic and I should take the metro. Dragging my bags up the stairs down the stairs - I was glad I had been working out prior to my trip. Took the subway from La Defense to Gare du Nord. Train tickets were sold out until the 18:15 (6:15) train so I bought a business class ticket which got me access to the business lounge which was great - drinks, snacks, magazines, wifi! The Eurostar high speed train from Paris to London goes through the chunnel which was on my bucket list so I can cross that one off. No big deal - the ferry was more scenic but slower. Two hours and I am in London, Kings Cross St Pancras. Next step, head to Heathrow. Picadilly line goes there direct - I might make the 10:50 flight. However, I've found I have a tendency to underestimate the time necessary to travel by metro. It looks so easy! A straight shot! Between trying to feed the ticket machine Euros when it wanted Pounds and dragging my luggage I arrive at Heathrow at 10pm - too late for check-in. I thought seriously of simply abandoning my luggage at the Kings Cross train station but then I had visions of a London bomb squad going through my dirty clothes and underwear and thought better of it. Where are all those luggage thieves and pick pockets when you want one?!

I dragged my smelly, tired self to a Heathrow hotel where a lovely man named Raj behind the counter commented on how tired I looked and upgraded me to a club level room. Yeah! I raided the club lounge of as much bottled water as I could carry and digestive crackers which are these very bland crackers that seem to promise easy digestion - whatever. Good night sleep does wonders. I'm on the noon flight in First Class headed to New York and I am one happy camper. On Terra Firma again but flights from JFK to DC look really full and we don't get on the 4:05 flight. The 6:15 and 10:50 don't look much better. Rental car! I'm going to get home tonight if it kills me which was a possibility. I think I hallucinated during part of the drive home but whatever I stayed on the road. By 10:10 I pull in and by 10:15 I am in my own bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment